What are micro- and nanoplastics (MNPs)? How can they be measured? Are they harmful to humans? This page provides links to some key resources that help begin to answer these questions and more. While there are still many unknowns, recent research in the field has helped shed light on how humans are exposed to MNPs and how they might affect our bodies throughout our lives.
Take a look through the links below to learn more.
- “Microplastics” Topics Page. European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) (2021)
- “Microplastics are everywhere – but are they harmful?” Nature (2021)
- “A scientific perspective on microplastics in nature and society.” SAPEA (2019)
- “Where has all the plastic gone?” Utrecht University (2021)
- “Presence of microplastics and nanoplastics in food, with particular focus on seafood.” European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) (2016)